yellow dots

Saturday, February 1, 2014

My Favorite Blueberry Muffins


I love blueberry muffins. Who doesn't? They're so warm and sweet and familiar. They're like eating a hug for breakfast. This is my favorite blueberry muffin recipe. They turn out moist and fluffy. I love the melted butter in these. I usually prefer melted butter to vegetable oil in baked goods. I just love butter, ok? These are the perfect breakfast or snack (with a glass of ice cold milk, of course). 



Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  
First, combine the dry ingredients; flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Whisk together in a large mixing bowl. 



Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup for about 30 seconds. 



Then, make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour in the melted butter.



Beat the egg, then add it. Add the vanilla and almond extracts. Be careful not to get more than 18/th of a teaspoon of the almond extract. It's strong stuff, and we're not going for a strong almond flavor here. It adds a little extra something special.

Then pour in the milk. I used whole, but I'm sure whatever is in your fridge is perfectly fine. 



Mix it all together with a wooden spoon, being careful not to over mix. 


Gently fold in the frozen blueberries. Do not thaw them first. I freeze my own blueberries from my garden so I can enjoy a bit of summer all year round. (Store bought is fine.) You can also use fresh if you have them, but they squish more easily in the batter and discolor the muffins. In my opinion, frozen blueberries are best for baking. 

These muffins seem to stick to the pan pretty bad, so grease your muffin tin well (non stick spray will NOT cut it!) or use muffin liners. 

Mix turbinado sugar and cinnamon for the topping. I just eyeballed it, and added a few shakes of cinnamon per tablespoon of sugar. 

Scoop batter into muffin cups and fill about 2/3 of the way. Sprinkle liberally with the cinnamon sugar mixture.  I love this topping. It's easier than a streusel topping, but  just as delicious!



Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool slightly before turning them out onto a cooling rack. 



Hope you enjoy these muffins! 




No comments :

Post a Comment