yellow dots

Thursday, February 6, 2014

French Onion Dip


(Also known as "What I Did With All Those Diced Onions) 


This onion dip is so absolutely divine. It has so much more flavor than what you can get from the packets, but it not much more difficult. I will never buy a packet of onion dip ever again. Really. I love being able to make things that are usually full of preservatives and sodium, (and other weird stuff.) at home with real food! It seems like it always tastes better without all that stuff anyway. (Who needs disodium guanylate anyway?)  Only 5 ingredients required for life changing deliciousness. Who's with me? 

First, dice your onions.  
(Hey, wanna know how to do it without crying like you're watching the beginning sequence of Up? Read this post!!

Then, caramelize them in some butter. I used a combo of butter and olive oil. Make sure you cook them low & slow, so they will be sweet and delicious. It took me about 30-45 minutes over medium low (on the low side) heat. 

Mix together the cream cheese, mayo, salt, pepper, and cayenne with an electric mixer. I added a few dashes of cayenne because I like the spice, but go light on it if you don't. Please don't leave it out, even if you just add a teeeeeeeensy bit. You won't notice the spice, it will just be another delicious layer of flavor. Beat it for a minute or two on a high speed to get out the lumps. 

Let the onions cool a bit, then add them to the cream cheese mixture. Mix together and enjoy with potato chips. I like the kettle cooked kind, because they are stronger (so youcan get more dip on them) and also really delicious.

I love this stuff. Hope you enjoy it! (I may or may not have eaten only onion dip for lunch yesterday.)


No comments :

Post a Comment