yellow dots

Monday, February 10, 2014

How to Make the Best Rice Krispy Treats EVER!




I recently saw a pin on pinterest that said using marshmallow cream instead of marshmallows will result in the most ooey gooey wonderful delicious Rice Krispy treats you've ever tasted! I had to know it was true, so I tested it out. I got the ingredients for regular Rice Krispy treats, and the ingredients for the "new-and-improved" version. 

First I made the regular Rice Krispy treats. I just used the recipe on the back of the box. They were yummy (because, Rice Krispy treats are delicious). When I was done, I made a batch of the new and improved version. They were really good, but they didn't hold together very well. I had my husband do a blind taste test, he said the original recipe was good, but the marshmallow cream version melted in your mouth. He could tell right away which one was classic and which was marshmallow cream. The pan of the marshmallow cream version was gone first, so they were obviously a success. But I knew they could be improved. I made a few more batches, and figured out....

 The Five Secrets to a Perfect Rice Krispy Treat. 


1.) Use half marshmallows and half marshmallow cream. 

This way, you get the melt-in-your-mouth quality of the marshmallow cream, but it still holds together like the original version.

2.) Use fresh marshmallows. 

This is not the time for the old, half eaten bag in the back of your pantry (save those ones for hot chocolate.) The fresh marshmallows are softer and will therefore make a softer treat. 

3.) MORE BUTTER!

 (this is basically the solution to all your cooking problems, ever.) 

4.) Don't use the microwave. 

It is too easy to overcook the marshmallow mixture this way, which results in hard, stringy treats. Don't do it. Stovetop is the way to go. 

5.) Thoroughly butter the pan. 

Rub softened butter all around in your 9X13 before you pour in your rice crispy mixture. Don't use non-stick spray. Butter is always better (see rule #3) 

Want my recipe? (you know you do!)


First butter your 9X13 baking dish with 1-2 TB of softened butter.  I use my hands because butter is an excellent moisturizer (probably) and I just find it easier that way. I wash them first, OK? 

In a saucepan, melt a stick of butter, a 7 oz container of marshmallow cream, and 3 cups of mini marshmallows. When they are soft and the marshmallows are almost completely melted (a few lumps is OK, you don't want to cook it too long), remove it from the heat and add your rice crispy treats. I just add them all at once, then gently stir together. Pour into the 9X13 and press down with buttered hands (again, because it's easiest, and also the moisturizer thing.) 

Let them cool, then cut into squares. 

Click for a    PRINTABLE RECIPE 


Hope you enjoyed this post, and use these tips next time you make rice crispy treats. You won't regret it! 

No comments :

Post a Comment